Professional Resume (outside of the pool)
• Founder & President, Water Polo Players’ Organization (WPO)
• Partner/Executive Vice President, DJ Global Wave Inc.
• Teacher & Mentor, Tony Azevedo Specialized Water Polo Clinics
• USOC Team for Tomorrow Athlete Ambassador (since 2012)
COMPLETE COVERAGE FOR RIO 2016 OLYMPICS
• Anderson & Lowe CHAMPIONS for Elton John Aids Foundation
• Featured Athlete, The New York Times, July 2012
• “What Do You Carry”, PC Magazine, July 2012
• Featured athlete for ESPN Magazine Body Shot, May 2012
• “Olympic Training Secrets”, Details Magazine, August 2012
• “The Hungry Crowd: Tony Azevedo”, Food & Wine Magazine, August 2012
• Featured in Teen People Magazine & US Weekly Magazines, 2004 & 2006
• “World’s Greatest Athlete”, St. Petersburg Times, February 2004
• “Young American Having a Ball in the Pool”, USA Today, August 2004
• “The Polo Prodigy”, The Stanford Magazine, October 2004
• Named World’s 7th Best Athlete, Men’s Journal, 2003
• Featured in Sports Illustrated Magazine, 2003 and 2012
• Created and managed Animal Rights Campaign featuring Olympic Athletes 2016
• Featured on PETA online, July 2012
• Featured on Petside.com, July 2012
• Featured as a contributor to “A Letter to my Cat” book, May 2015
• Featured in “Sports Souls” book, to be published December 2015
Tony Azevedo comes from a family of athletes. Thirteen relatives play or have played sports at the highest level, including professional soccer, basketball, baseball and participation in numerous Pan American and Olympic competitions.
Tony’s immediate family form what many have called a water polo dynasty. His father, Ricardo, a member of the Brazilian National Water Polo team in his youth, has led Tony as both a coach and a mentor throughout his development in the sport. He has coached around the world and is currently the coach of the Chinese National Team.
His sister Cassie was a star player at Long Beach State University and spent several seasons abroad playing professionally in Italy & Hungary. And his 3 year old son Cruz is already constantly spotted walking around in a mini Hard Core Sport suit and swimming in any body of water available.